Wednesday, June 24, 2026

The Big Adventures of My Sad Little Guts

 The good news today is that the results of the capsule camera (endoscopy) showed that there is no internal bleeding. The so-so news is that it showed inflammation in the small intestines. The medical term for this is enteritis. 

There are numerous causes for enteritis which anyone can easily research at various medical websites. In my case, we can rule out infection, celiac disease, Crohn's and Lupus. My gut is simply irritated. It has been through a lot! First, the rupture caused by the airbag hitting me so hard in that little deathtrap of a car (explained in this blog). Then infection caused by food leaking into my abdomen, causing weeks of painful peritonitis. Then an adverse reaction to oral antibiotics that caused severe abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Then weeks later, another surgery to remove a tumor they found in the colon, where my abdomen lay open for hours while they poked around to remove 44 swollen lymph nodes along with the colon cancer. And as if all that wasn't enough trauma for my sad little guts, they then had to suffer three more GI cleanses for follow-up colonoscopies and the capsule endoscopy. 

All they want now is to be left alone. To rest. To heal. 

I have no doubt the inflammation will disappear with a sensitive diet, good hydration, probiotics and some peace and quiet. 

Enteritis can cause nutrient deficiencies due to malabsorption. It's safe to say this is the main cause of the low nutrient and anemic test results I have had to varying degrees since surgery. 

The BRAT diet is recommended to treat an inflamed gut. That's bananas, rice, applesauce and toast--white dry toast. 

My case is not that extreme at this time. I can have other easily digestible foods, like steamed sweet potatoes and carrots (peeled), yogurt, eggs, lowfat milk, oatmeal, braised chicken--the main thing for me is to eat very small portions throughout the day. I can do that. 

The point is to avoid making too many demands on the gut. Give it a rest. 

Low fiber. Low fat. Bland. 

Avoid caffeine. I can have a little decaf. 

Avoid greasy, fatty foods (I always have). Lay off the peanut butter, nuts, curry lentils and black bean chili for a while (it's giving up spicy foods that is hardest for me!) 

Avoid rich meats and high-fat foods--that means no tiramisu for me until this is completely resolved! I can do that. 

No chocolate. OMG!!! :(

This is temporary. 

In the near future, I'm confident I can have small amounts of my favorite foods occasionally without blowing up my sad little guts. I simply have to respect what they've been through! 











No comments:

Post a Comment